Monday, May 8, 2017

Bodged Job

Work has commenced on a new vehicle for my Morkers.  It's another Trakk based off the standard Ork Wartrakk, but this one will be much more heavily converted than my last one.  I'm basically tearing it apart (I bought it fully assembled on eBay) and then putting it back together with plasticard and green stuff.

Unfortunately, I made the mistake of starting with nothing more than a single sheet of plasticard as the main structural element, which ended up breaking on three different occasions.

Work in Progress picture of a scratch built Ork Trakk for Gorkamorka

After finally admitting the error of my ways, I decided to reinforce my flimsy joints with a few good, solid chunks of sprue.  I also cut off the three little boxes on the top of the tracks in preparation for another sheet of plasticard, which ended up being a much more difficult task than I had anticipated (I broke two hobby knives trying to remove them carefully).

Work in Progress picture of a scratch built Ork Trakk for Gorkamorka with sprue reinforcing the joints

Finally, I added a crossbeam to connect the two halves, as well as a bunch more structural supports that will hold the top and bottom together and help to spread out the weight a bit.

Work in Progress picture of a scratch built Ork Trakk for Gorkamorka with added sprue for support

Hopefully this will result in a fairly sturdy vehicle once I add the platform for the gunner.  After that, I just need the driver's seat and some finishing touches and this one should be ready for a test drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment