Sunday, May 27, 2018

Squig Week!

A converted Squighound for Gorkamorka wearing goggles
Greetings everyone, and welcome to Squig Week!  One of the additions we made to our house rules for Gorkamorka was the inclusion of a squig market where players could go and buy little squiggly beasts for their gangers.  Thus far, no one has used them, because almost no one has any squig models, other than the ones we used for the Squigpede in our first campaign two years ago.  So in the spirit of testing our house rules, I've been slowly acquiring squigs off ebay for the last few months, though this is the first one I've actually managed to convert and paint up.  There's no way I'm going to get all of them built and painted this week (some are still on the sprues), but I'm going to see how many I can get ready for our upcoming game.

A WIP shot of a converted Squig for Gorkamorka
Even with his cool shades, this guy is easily recognizable as one of the old metal Warhammer Fantasy squigs.  I thought this happy-looking guy would make a nice addition to my cheerful Morkers, so I gave him a pair of goggles to protect him from the desert sands.  The original model is designed for a slotta base, so I chopped off the tab and pinned him to some interesting looking scrap.  I like how the broken conduit full of cables turned out, though in hindsight, I could have made the break in the pipe a bit more jagged to show off the cables a bit more. Still, I'm quite pleased how it turned out.

A converted Squighound for Gorkamorka wearing goggles
Painting my squighound involved a bit of trial and error.  My usual red scheme using Agrax Earthshade made all the little recesses by his scales way too dark, so I decided to try using a glaze for the first time.  A nice coat of Bloodletter calmed down the crazy contrast I was getting and gave his skin a good strong shade of red.  I also decided to make his spikes look extra jagged by painting the lines on his horns, rather than just using a shade like I usually do.  It took way too long on this spiky guy but I like the finished effect.

A converted Runtherd and Squig for Gorkamorka.
So now Slash, my runtherd finally has some help keeping the grots in line.  Now I'll just have to see if I can save up enough teef to actually take him in a campaign...

2 comments:

  1. I've got a squig hound and a grot with an oiler squig all painted up for the next time we play... the Morkers will definitely be gettin' squiggy with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I have an oiler squig, too, but I haven't even started converting it, so it probably won't make the cut this week. One of these days, though...

      Delete