Thursday, September 13, 2018

Gubbinz: Boosta Rokkit

A scratch-built boosta rokkit for Gorkamorka

Since I built way more gubbinz for my big trakk during this campaign than I was able to talk about in my last post, I thought I'd write a series of follow-ups on them, as I'm generally pretty pleased with how they turned out.  First up, my custom boosta rokkits.

Cygnus set the bar pretty high for gubbinz during our first campaign, making some nice gubbinz for Marvolork's Skwagmobile out for bits from various Ork kits.  He made some nice boosta rokkits out of a pair of the larger bombs from the Fighta-Bommer, which looked like some good solid rocket boosters, which seems like the sort of thing orks would strap to a trukk.  I decided to go in a slightly different direction, drawing more from liquid-fueled rocket engines and jet engines for the overall design.

The basic bitz for building my Boosta Rokkits

I used the turbine bit from one of the Ork Stormboyz to make an air intake, but I needed something for the exhaust nozzle.  I ultimately ended up settling on some plastic golf tees, which weren't the easiest thing to work with, but had a nice shape.  Plasticard tubing provided the structure to connect all the bits together.

WIP shots of my converted Boosta Rokkits for Gorkamorka

All the pipes, tubes, and cables were made from various sizes of wire that I bent into shape and super glued on.  I also chopped up some little pellets from an air gun to make some pressure chambers of some kind.  I designed the boosta rokkits to work with the magnetic mounts I'd already built for my boarding planks so that they could be attached by themselves or in combination with the planks.

Converted Boosta Rokkits for Gorkamorka

Converted Boosta Rokkits for Gorkamorka

As you can see, I decided not to keep their design perfectly symmetrical.  They both have the little brass pressure chambers on the inward facing side, however, I added different bits on the outward side.  One got the tanks from the Trukk kit, while the other got a small rocket that I think I got from the Flash Gitz sprue.  I like how the paint job turned out, with lots of grimy looking engine parts with a few bright reds and yellow hazard stripes to keep all the detail from blurring together.  I didn't actually end up using them in the campaign, since boostas have been responsible for far more catastrophic explosions than for actual victories, but I'm looking forward to getting them on the table at some point.  I might even have to build some mounts on my other vehicles so I can use them more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment