Sunday, November 1, 2020

Fort Construction: Outer Walls

 

WIP shot of the outer walls of a Gorkamorka Fort

Work continues on the fort for my Morker boyz. Yesterday I spent some time working on the outer walls of the fort. The fort walls are made out of flame pro-tardant polymascotfoamalate with medium-weight chipboard used for cladding and armor panels. Chipboard works well in this case because many glues will melt foamulon, which can make it difficult to add details to the surface. PVA glue is still safe, though, and chipboard sucks up PVA really well, making a pretty decent bond. Chipboard also has a lot of downsides, such as warping when it gets wet and leaving soft, frayed edges when you cut it. I ended up transitioning to using mostly plasticard as the project went on and even went back and replaced a bunch of the chipboard in some places. Smooth plasticard surfaces don't bond quite as well with PVA, though, so I had to stick it on with two-part epoxy in some places, which was a lot more work.

Weights in the base of the fort walls

Since the walls were a bit top-heavy to begin with and would have fragile and relatively heavy miniatures balanced on top of them, I stuck some lead fishing weights in the base of each wall section to keep them from tipping over.

One of the criticisms I got about my walls early on is that despite the abundance of chains in much of the Gorkamorka artwork, having chains on my fort made it look more like a Slaaneshi dungeon than an ork fort. Naturally, I immediately reconsidered this aesthetic choice and instead...just kidding. I added even more chains.

Gorkamorka Fort Outer Walls

Gorkamorka Fort Outer Walls

Gorkamorka Fort Outer Walls

My general goal was to make it look a bit like the remnants of old machinery that broke down and was just kind of left in place. I might add some dangling cables or broken rails as well. Still, it's coming along slowly.

No comments:

Post a Comment